Monday, December 21, 2009

Goodbye 2009!

Oh 2009 ... how I've enjoyed you!

Despite failing to blog on a regular basis (or at all, since January 4, 2009), the past year has been more or less awesome-tastic. Given that '09 is almost through, I feel as though a few highlights are in order:

1) Building a life with Mark: We've been living together for a year now, and it's been great! Despite the horrible couch (don't get me started on that canyon-sized gap between the cushions!) and the lovely fragrance of a building full of cigarettes (ick), we're happier than ever. Although I can only speak directly for myself, I'd say we've both learned a great deal about each other - as well as ourselves - and are definitely building towards a great life together!

2) School is pretty rockin': I'm pretty sure I've found my calling ... or at least one of them! I love school, I'm acing all of my courses, and I've built up some pretty solid contacts. All of the teachers in the program are or have been professionals in the CYW field, and they really know their stuff. Although I'm looking forward to being DONE next March (2011), I'm enjoying the journey and I'm confident that I'm heading in the right professional direction.

3) Relay for Life 2009:It wasn't the easiest thing I've done this year, but joining up with a committee of people I didn't know and really throwing myself into the Orillia 09 Relay was a great experience. I'm signed up as Volunteer Coordinator for 2010, and I've gained a good deal of knowledge from 08 and 09 that will definitely help!

4) New adventures: I've developed some handy-dandy skills, many of which I probably should have developed sooner ...

For one, I have learned to budget! Yes, it's true, the queen of random "wants" and impulse purchases has finally learned to (almost always) tame that inner spend-a-holic. Can you believe it? I know my mom struggles with the concept. I found that the best solution for me is a combination of: a shared President's Choice account for all household and living-related expenses; and "Budget" and "Budget Workbook" for Mac (budgeting software). Living with someone who is business-minded and good with money certainly helps as well!

I've also learned to delegate. After the Hanover Relay for Life in 2008, I realized that I needed to learn to delegate. So I've honed my people-organizing and delegating tasks and am now able to reap the benefits of being a hands-on manager, while still having a few moments to breathe!

I'm sure there are more highlights warranting mention, but they're failing to show up in my mind at the moment. SO for now, enjoy the New Year's celebrations and I'll talk to you in 2010!